Angelica Swiersz, MD, FAAP
Dr. Angelica Swiersz is originally from Bloomington, Illinois where she attended Illinois Wesleyan University and met her husband, Dr. Paul Swiersz. Together they attended The University of Illinois College of Medicine, followed by Residency programs in Pediatrics (Angelica) and Emergency Medicine (Paul) at Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
After residency, Dr. Swiersz underwent specialized training in a Neonatology Fellowship at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. During her second year, which focused heavily on research, Dr. Swiersz missed caring for children of all ages and interacting with their parents and decided to return to General Pediatrics. She worked for two years at an incredibly busy practice in Georgetown, South Carolina serving primarily underprivileged children with a great deal of high acuity. In 2001, after her husband's hospital closed in Charleston, they moved to Cary, North Carolina where she began practicing at Oberlin Road Pediatrics. Over the years, Dr. Swiersz has not only enjoyed having the privilege to care for her patients at Oberlin Road Pediatrics, but she also marvels in watching them grow from babies to young adults and loves being a part of their families' lives.
Dr. Swiersz and her husband have two boys, Charleston & Sullivan, who they named fondly after living in Charleston and boating around Sullivan's Island. Her youngest son, Sullivan, plays hockey at the academy in New Hampshire and attends high school through NC Virtual. Her oldest son, Charleston, attends college at Furman University in Greenville, SC. She loves being a hockey mom, enjoys spending family time at the beach and watching her boys surf, as well as cooking, boating, and traveling.
Fun Facts About Me
- I grew up a gymnast and was a cheerleader in college.
- My husband and I have been together since we were 19!
- During medical school I volunteered at a community center for underprivileged kids and taught gymnastics, dance, and cheer.
- I have driven about 100,000 miles in the past 3-4 years as a full time hockey mom and absolutely love the ice cold hockey rink!
- Pediatrics: American Board of Pediatrics
- Residency: Pediatrics, Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital, Grand Rapids, MI, 1995-1998
- Medical School: University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 1991-1995
- Undergraduate: Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, IL, 1987-1991
Professional Organizations & Affiliations
- Fellow: American Academy of Pediatrics